Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A blog?! Noooooo

I don't like blogs. While I do, from time to time, enjoy reading up a little on my brother Andrew's or my former roommate Peter Han's, I think they are basically pointless. The main issue for me is that I think they most often exist solely for the purpose of narcissistic fulfillment on the part of the writer, rather than providing real insight into a given subject (Andrew excepted, since all he's written about since his first entry is "boring computer stuff"). But perhaps one is not possible without the other. After all, I tend to think that the most important philosophies we have are those which we can actually tie to life experience. Holding on to an idea that cannot be changed by your experiences is extremely dangerous (e.g. certain people I know who have gay friends and family yet still maintain that homosexuality is sinful and wrong), and not being able to tie your life events to an overarching philosophy essentially reduces you to an animal or a very sad human (i.e. the anomie of nihilism).

Anyways, the original reason why I was hesitant to make a blog about my Argentina experience is because it is just so cliche. White middle-class post-grad idealist decides to go to foreign country to offer a helping hand because he has no better plan for his life. Seriously. Get over it. You're not that special. Secondly, I didn't feel the need to give people one more reason to label me as the narcissistic person they already think I am--yes I'm looking at you Cara and Priscilla. Add to that the reality that many people I love and cherish will probably not read the material I slave over (Jaylene!)... it's just too much to bear!

Over the last week, however, I have come to the realization that this blog will allow me to answer the question, "How are things in Argentina?" to an indefinite amount of people in one simple location. Since so many people clearly want to live vicariously through me, I thought it best to feed their fancy, and it conveniently prevents myself from answering the same question hundreds of times instead of having interesting conversations. Now when people ask, I can guilt trip them and say "Didn't you read my blog?! What kind of friend are you?!" It will be great.

So there you have it, my esoteric rant on doing something I didn't really want to do, the first entry in my egotistical enterprise. I hope you'll join me for the ride and be changed by my words as much as I am changed by the experiences that inspire them.

4 comments:

  1. hahaa, well thanks for the shout-outs!
    a zach blog... I EXCITE!! gotta bookmark this now
    :D

    ~pris

    ReplyDelete
  2. eww....I don't know if I can talk to you anymore...YOU MADE A BLOG!

    ...stop being so hard on yourself...its a public diary, nothing bad about that. cliche? yea...but its cliche for a reason...its a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to hearing what you'll actually be doing in Argentina. By the way, don't leave the country without seeing Iguazu Falls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Zach! I'm at David and Wendy's house on Sabbth afternoon.
    David is going to help me learn how to comment within the blog.
    Let me know when you get settled and have an address.
    Hope you are having a happy Sabbath. --Jo

    ReplyDelete